Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Countdown

With only nine weeks to go before our little girl comes into this world we have a lot to get done. We haven't done anything yet. I have a few outfits and toys. I bought two crib sheets and finally ordered the travel system. That's all we have done. Honest. We are both a little naive, Jay more so than I. (He keeps asking what else we could possibly need.) We researched the carseat for 2 months before we finally took the plunge and ordered it.
With that said, we need your advice. Most of you have had kids so you know what we need and what we don't.
Do you have a crib that you love and want to recommend?
Should I be stocking up on Huggies or Pampers?
What else do I need to be stocking up on?
Thanks!

20 comments:

Fab Five said...

crib, bumbo, a lot of people liked a boppy but I didn't really use it, some kind of bouncy chair, a nursing cover if you're nursing, birb cloths, and a baby swing.

Jade said...

Honestly, aside from white onesies (which won't stay white), diapers, wipes and LOTS of burb rags, you don't NEED a lot for the first several months. It's important to be prepared, but I also think there's a lot to be said for borrowing things for a day or two after the baby comes to see if your little girl takes to it. Some kids like to bounce, others rock -- if after she comes you borrow a bouncer and she loves it, you know what to get.

rexburgskinners said...

I am so excited for you! The best thing to stalk up on.....SLEEP!!!
Get as much sleep as possible:)
The other stuff you can get as you need...diapers are always good to have loads of. Try yard sales for some of the other things,you'd be amazed at what nice baby things you'll find! Enjoy each day!

KT said...

hello! Baby carriers! Take a piece of cloth and tie that sweet baby to you!

I love glamourmom nursing tanks. Perfect bras imo and if you buy the longer length ones you will love the layering look.

Nursing pads... I buy hemp ones so I can just wash them or I have lilypadz.

Bumbo... loved it. Jade has one and I think she enjoyed it. It can double for a high chair.

Babylegs... I don't buy pants for
my babies because they outgrow them every few months but babylegs last for YEARS! easier than tights, great for diaper changes... love them!

boppy for nursing and for laying baby down on the couch. X still uses his 19 months later on a daily basis.

a cosleeper so that darling can be next to you (but then we are hippies that way).

I LOVE "The Baby Sleep Book" by dr sears. Great reading.

My kids didn't care for swings so I would borrow one at first before shelling out the $ (unless you have already bought one). Honestly, my babies have all been happier being worn. Close to mama and daddy, warm and safe...

Cloth diapers! Woot! I use Mommy's Touch one size diapers and I have saved tons of money!

But really, at the end of the day all that baby needs is you guys to love on her. And food.

Nancy said...

Definitely USE Huggies...pampers are terrible!

The Cornett Family said...

I really like Pampers newborn diapers, through size 2. After that, go Wal-Mart brand. WAY cheaper, and work just fine! I would get swaddling blankets (fairly large ones) and I would invest in some sort of wrap or baby bjorn. Sometimes it's SOOO much easier to tote the baby attached to you, rather than haul a stroller around.

Melissa said...

The book "On becoming babywise" saved my life.
Onsies, GOOD blankets that can swaddle well.
Oxy clean baby all the way.

Brittanie said...

Definitely go Huggies! Totally agree with Melissa. Baby Wise is the ultimate baby guide--the baby Bible. Read it now and then again the week baby is born.

Loved my boppy, nursing cover, and sling carrier. Lots of burp clothes or receiving blankets.

You can always use a pack n' play with the bassinet top until baby is ready for the crib. Then you don't have to buy a bassinet, because you will want a pack 'n play anyways.

Missy! said...

onesies, onesies, onesies; diapers (I like pampers swaddlers for a newborn); wipes galore; blankets for swaddling (waffle weave work really well because they stretch); and burb rags...

and Melissa is SO right about oxyclean - it gets white onesies white again!!

Matt and Sara said...

From my experience diapers are obviously needed but they're a weird thing to stock up on. I stocked up and then ended up hating most of the brands I stocked up on. I'm sure I'm just overly obsessive and weird about diapers I liked but I tried all the brands and loved Pampers Swaddlers for brand newborn, WalMart brand for a little older newborn not yet in size 1 and for size 1 and Luvs for sizes 2&3. Weird huh?

You and Jay are going to be amazing parents and your little girl is going to be loved so much!

stevie kay said...

I did this for my cousin a couple years ago. http://steviekaycroft.blogspot.com/2008/02/baby-stuff.html
(be sure to click on the italicized words to see a picture example!)

And now with two I'll add a few more - bumbo chair, some kind of overhead activity gym, and cloth diapers to use as spit rags (burp cloths). I would wait to buy diapers until after you have any showers. With Lizzy I didn't buy any and got four or five packs of newborn diapers. Most stuff you can buy as you go. Just make sure you have a few newborn outfits, a carseat, diapers and wipes, blankets, and a crib/bassinette/play yard for the baby to sleep in when it comes home and you'll can get the rest later.

stevie kay said...

Oh, and as far as diapers go. Everyone's baby is shaped different so each baby will have a diaper that fits them best and the parents love so you'll just have to try a few. I've liked both pampers and huggies for newborns then switched to Walmart at size 1 before we went broke :-)

Holly said...

SO excited for you!!! Will you send me your address, I have something for you! :)

sunshineinmysoul_33(at)yahoo(dot)com

Jenna said...

zippered or open bottom night-gowns! I sleepy mom's best friend!! I LOVE the pampers swaddlers for newborns, they are so soft. I'm so excited for you guys - 9 weeks will go SO FAST!!

Justin and Barbara said...

Hmmm...I LOVED the boppy for nursing, any book by Dr. Sears (he is WONDERFUL and very natural and common sense), and LOTS of burp rags. Hope all goes well for you guys!

Child of God said...

Huggies! A swing saved us- it would put Evy right to sleep. Onesies are the best. Plastic protector for your crib is necessary, Evalie has put teeth marks all around our crib. Someone to give you a back massage on demand. Definitely a nursing cover up, if you are nursing, lots of ideas for remedies for pain during the first few weeks of nursing. And a set time for you to go away for just a little bit. I was having cabin fever and so stressed with a new little one, Jeff made me go to a movie with my sister when Evalie was a just a few weeks old. it was hard but it was a nice break.

Anonymous said...

What you will need the first few months the baby is here......Diapers, Diapers, oh did I forget to mention Diapers & wipes. Now don't be fooled into getting a ton of Diapers that are the same size....she will only be in newborn size for like a week to a month max.

Lot's of love!!!! There a a ton of things that I could tell you to get, but there is plenty of time after the baby is born to get all of that stuff. Just make sure you have at least 1 outfit a few onesies, lots of diapers & a place for her to sleep (and I don't mean in your bed with you).

If your anything like I remember, then you are going to be a great mother!!!

Karen said...

Two words for you: "Baby Wise"!!! Get that book! Your little one will be sleeping through the night in no time! Congratulations! :)

Sarah Ruth Ritchie said...

LOL... Funny! I really wish I had experience in this department. Maybe... a bouncer or exercauser, bumble or bimbo (whatever they call those)... hah! I am pretty pathetic, I know.

Jarod & Jamie said...

I love costco kirtland brand diapers. Huggies and pampers after Lilli was size 2 leaked after a couple of hours.

i have a portable eating chair with tray that you sit on a chair. Love it take it anywhere and don't have to get a bulky high chair.

Bumbo like other said really helped Lilli figure out the sitting part of life. but this can wait for 3 or so months.
Crib is good but it can also wait for 3 or so months. we have a drop down side and i used it until Lilli got to sitting/standing and i have quit moving it.

For burb cloths my mother in law made me a ton out of white flannel and i loved them about the only ones i used.

Must have for me would be the open end night gown or zipper nightgown, Easy access for the late night diaper changing.