Thursday, July 30, 2009

Drop Side vs. Stationary

Alright... Jay and I are arguing about cribs. Do we want a stationary or drop-side crib? I have my opinion, he has his. So, what do you have? What do you recommend? If you have a drop-side, do you use that feature? Does it feel safe and sturdy?

16 comments:

Michelle said...

Here is my take on this: I have a drop side-- but I NEVER have used the feature --biggest reason is because my babies always woke up when I would pull the side up (and it was pretty quiet) and I never felt too comfortable leaving the side down even when they were super small. It is very sturdy, but I don't use the feature so I would probably not buy one that way if I was doing it again.

Wendy said...

I ALWAYS used a drop side. My biggest reason is that I am short and I can't pick up the baby if the mattress is on the lower levels without it. (especially when I was pregnant) I have sound sleepers so it does not wake them up. I know both of you are pretty tall so you don't have to worry about that really. It is also nice if you are training the kid to go to sleep on their own and want to bend over to give them some security without picking them up. Or if you need to sit down while holding in a pacifier while they are falling asleep, that way your arm will stay awake. There are tons of variable that just depend on your baby and your parenting style if you end up using it or not. I'd say get it and if you don't use it at least your not kicking yourself for not getting it.

Jade said...

I used the drop side early on because I would hit my C-section stitches on the side of the crib otherwise. Then I didn't use it again until I got pregnant with No. 2 and, again, had need to protect my midsection.

I'm sure I could have gotten by without it had we not gotten one with a drop side. But I've never regretted having the option.

Aves said...

I don't know, but I can't wait to see pictures of your new little one!!! YAY!

Jaime Lynne said...

Drop side FOR SURE. Even though we haven't had to lower the crib mattress yet I still drop the side so I don't have to lean over to pick him up.

Marianne said...

We have a drop side and I use it occasionally (for the above mentioned reasons) and I like having the option. Plus, I use the crib as a changing table with a changing pad in it while the matress can still be high so the drop side comes in handy so I don't have to bend over so far. Ours seems very sturdy and we haven't had any problems with it.

Holly said...

We have a dropside, and I used it ALL the time, but mostly because I am short! I love it! :)

Drew and Valarie's Family Blog said...

Just for the sturdiness issue, they are just as safe and sturdy even with having a drop side. Plus, it makes it WAY easier when you have to change the sheets/bumper pads when 'messes' happen!!!! Yay I'm so excited for you and your family!!! Brianne is coming on Tuesday, first time in years since I have seen her,,,, Memories of Ricks days! I miss you!

Anonymous said...

I have a drop side too but never used it. I guess it's just up to you. I think stationary sounds safer. If I could buy any crib now, I think it would be a sationary. Mainly because you can alwasy adjust the height of the crib mattress.

Natalie♥ said...

I have a drop side and have used it all the time because of c-section issues. You just never know when you will need it!!

Jenna said...

I love my drop side! While they are tiny, I leave it a little ways down so that it's easier to put them in the crib. Mine is supe quiet so it has never awakened my kids when I put it back up. I'm all for it. :) But, to be fair, I never used a stationary one so I can't judge very fairly.

Andy and Lynne said...

I have only had a dropside crib, I don't use it though. It smashes the bumper and by the time you need to lower the matress, your baby is pulling his/herself up anyway. It seemed like it was loud and it shakes the crib, waking up the baby. At the same time, if you find that you do like it, at least the option is there. If it is the same price, I'd opt for it but if it costs more, i wouldn't bother.

Richmonds said...

I have a stationary, but the crib is designed for short people, and since I don't have a baby yet, well see. I got my glider at believe or not Walmart and it is extremely comfortable and it was a great price and I hate Walmart, but I gave it because it was the one I wanted.

Little Farmer Family said...

Yay!! I found your blog so now I can blog stalk you! :) J/K!! Any way I have one of each and personally I never have really used the drop side. Both cribs that I have it where the mattress support has different levels so you can change it for higher for a newborn and the lowest for a toddler. But it's up to you guys!! Only 7 more weeks??? We find out on Friday what we're having. :)

krystal said...

I have a drop side crib and like it. You just have to get one that is smooth to get up and down instead of clunky, so not to wake baby. They are just as sturdy and better on your back. Whereas you are both tall it may not be a big issue. I like mine but good luck deciding.

Sarah Ruth Ritchie said...

Hmmmm... interesting question. I am sure there are pros and cons to both. I seem to like the looks of the ones that do not have the drop side feature most though. I am excited to see what you find!