Thursday, August 14, 2008

Grammatically correct

How is something considered grammatically correct if there are dozens of different standards? I have always thought and been told that 7:00 p.m. is incorrect, it is 7 p.m. Well, here at WSU we have different grammar guidelines, we use the Chicago Manual Style which means the correct way is 7:00 p.m. I feel like I am intentionally breaking a law everytime I have to write it that way. ARGH!

Ok, I'm done ranting. Now that it is nearly 3:00 p.m. I am going to check out the Catering Showcase a.k.a. eat food!

3 comments:

tonksfam said...

I'm the same way with lists! Is it peanut butter, bread, and milk? Is it peanut butter, bread and milk? I think it is definitely the first way, but the print industry (AKA: AP style - sorry Jade) has yet to catch up with me.

Richmonds said...

Hey Cute Girl,
I'm glad to see you are still hilarious. You look so good and you it looks like you married a cutie. Congrats, I have to say it, because I haven't had the chance yet. Come visit Vernon and I when you have a chance. Misty
vernonandmisty.blogspot.com

Jade said...

That's why a stylebook is absolutely critical. First an entity must determine which style (Chicago, AP, APA, etc.). Then it must outline its own nuances (for example, should you reference Washington State University first, or is WSU OK on first reference).

And Debi, I hate to tell you, you're the one who is behind the times. In basic lists it USED to be appropriate to have a comma separating each item. Now it's correct, not just in AP style, to remove the final comma (which makes sense, since the comma and the conjunction are redundant). The print industry isn't behind on this one -- it was in the forefront.

K, I'm done.